1 loaf Base Culture Sourdough Bread
1 pound ground pork sausage
1 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
1 leek, green stalk removed and whites thinly sliced
2 cups celery, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
2 cups cored Granny Smith apples (about 2 apples), chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 2-quart casserole pan or 9" x 13" pan.
2. Cut your loaf into cubes and add to a large baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes until they are dried out. Place the bread cubes into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. While your bread bakes, chop all your veggies.
4. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown the sausage about 8 to 10 minutes, breaking it up with a spoon as you go.
5. Transfer the sausage to the bowl with the bread cubes, leaving the excess fat in the pan.
6. Return the pan to the heat and melt the butter. Add the onion, leek, and celery. Season with salt to taste. After a few minutes, add the fresh herbs. Cook until the onions are translucent and everything has softened.
7. Transfer the vegetable mixture to the bowl with the bread/sausage.
8. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together - the eggs, stock, salt, and pepper.
9. Add egg mixture to the large bowl and stir everything well to incorporate.
10. Transfer the stuffing to the prepared pan.
11. Bake the stuffing for 45-55 minutes, until the top is crunchy and sizzling.